The Estimator is responsible for gathering data required in preparing detailed budgets, estimates and pre-bid packages to ensure profitability. The Estimator will also establish a bidders list, solicit and evaluate subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, and review project plans and specifications for constructability and value added design. Some supervision of other estimators, project engineers, may be required.
Execute the bid requirements within the established deadlines for hard bid, competitive bid, conceptual, schematic, design development and Guaranteed Maximum Price estimates.
Develop comprehensive, accurate and competitive, detailed conceptual estimates and budgets.
Review and analyze all bid documents and the project site. Schedule job site walkthroughs with key subcontractors/vendors, and clients, as required.
Create RFIs and submit to the development team; manage RFI process and submit to bidding subcontractors/vendors as needed.
Communicate with the design team as necessary during the preconstruction process.
Prepare detailed estimates (e.g., initial, schematic design, design development, and construction documents) including creating quantity takeoffs, applying project-specific unit pricing, and value added design options.
Prequalify bidders, based on scope of work. Develop a list of qualified bidders to ensure the right subcontractor/vendor receives the Invitation to Bid (ITB) document(s).
Perform constructability analyses, prepare a detailed scope clarification document and cost breakdown. Manage and update scope clarification document real time preconstruction phase. Provide cost modeling and value design input.
Coordinate schedule and general condition requirements with the project team.
Work with Preconstruction/Estimating team on developing the client proposal.
Participate in preconstruction meetings as necessary.
Assist with subcontractor awards as required.
Review and present budget and bid package to project team.
- Results Oriented
- Team Player
This position may have supervisory responsibility for other estimators, project engineers.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- Preconstruction/estimating experience is highly desirable, prior project management and field experience preferred.
- Ability to estimate large, complex projects ranging from $20-50m in representative markets.
- Conceptual estimating and budgeting, estimating software, negotiated and competitive processes, scheduling and value engineering.
- Knowledge of the subcontractor community and sub-market pricing. Chicago proper priority/suburban sector
- College degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience. Engineering degree a plus